Monday, March 8, 2010

Phyllo pastries take time

I found out recently that I have a new found respect for any restaurant / bakery that makes it's own Phyllo pastry. I made some last weekend. Spinach and feta triangles and potato curry ones too. I thought it was simple, yet this took the better half of a day.


Every individual sheet of pastry is paper thin. So manipulating it take a lot of tender loving care. Then It had to be buttered / oiled. Then on to another delicate sheet put on top of it. It was a long process but I managed to get it done. Thus I have a great respect for any person doing this for a living.

Mine tasted good but looked awful. Probably due to my fat fingers. I have an inability to operate minuscule things. Like inserting RAM into a computer or pastries like this.

My Fillings:

Spinach and Feta filling.

1/4 pound of feta.
1 pkg of drained frozen spinach (chopped).
4 cloves garlic minced.
1 onion.
salt and pepper.
1 eggs.

Food process all ingrediant and cool until ready for the pastry.

Potato Roti filling

1/3 cup oil
4 Teaspoons turmeric
2 Teaspoon cumin
1 Teaspoon allspice
1 Teaspoon ground ginger
2 Teaspoon Garam Masala
2 Small onion, chopped
8 cloves garlic, minced or crushed
2 cans of potatoes (cubed)

Cook the spices with oil then add other ingredients. Cook about 15 min on medium.

No comments:

Post a Comment