Wednesday, April 21, 2010

5 Reasons Why Chicago's Awsome

I spent two weeks in Chicago. I found it to be a very interesting place to visit. I thought it was pretty awesome. Here's why:


#5 Big, Giant, Projection Art





When I went to the main park on the waterfront of downtown Chicago I found lots of sculptures within the park. This was probably the most striking. It's a giant column of glass that has a movie of someone gradually getting older projected from the ground. It's really interesting to see up close.





#4 Efficient Transit System


I'm not saying Toronto's Go Train isn't efficient, I just like the elevated train system in downtown Chicago. Also Chicago's transit has allows easy access to the airport from downtown. Try getting to Toronto's Pearson Airport from downtown Toronto via transit. It's practically impossible.



How can a city like Toronto not have a train that goes from downtown to the airport by now is beyond me. It's a travesty. A transit travesty that's what it is.


#3 Squeaky Clean Streets


I was surprised to see how clean the streets of Chicago were of garbage and such. Coming from Toronto I have to say they take a lot more care of their city than we do.

Over the course of a two weeks in Chicago, on average I noticed less trash on the streets than I have in Toronto.


Of course the recent garbage strike in Toronto might have affected my judgment here.

#2 Deep Dish Pizza

Forget Pizza Hut, when we're talking original Chicago deep dish, we mean deep. During my visit I tried Uno's Pizza. A true classic pizza. Billed as the original deep dish, it was excellent and I would recommend you take your time with this pie as it fills you up fast.






With a line up around the corner on a Saturday at 1pm this place was extremely busy but worth the wait. As such they have a sister restaurant right across the street with the same menu called Duo's. They take your order 40 minutes before your meal because it takes that long to cook your pizza pie. Make it a must see place on any trip to Chicago. Your taste buds will thank you.






#1 Sears Tower, or whatever the hell it's called now.


Standing at 108 stories this is an impressive structure. I couldn't believe the speed at which the elevators travel. It's does 108 stories in about a minute. If it could It rip out your spleen on the way up. It's just that awesome. It was completed in 1973 and was, at the time the tallest building in the world.



They have since renamed it to Willis Tower which sounds a little lame at first but once you associate it with Bruce Willis, it makes it awesome. Let's face it anything Bruce Willis related is awesome.









No comments:

Post a Comment